- Psycrets is a private organisation for mystery entertainers, which includes inter alia, performers of mentalism, bizarre magic, readings, hypnotism and other forms of mystical and psychic entertainment.
- Membership is awarded at the discretion of The Committee.
An annually reviewed probationary award which is for those mystery entertainers gaining experience or yet to demonstrate satisfactory contribution to the craft. Such an award does not include voting rights on Psycrets matters.
The transition to Full membership may be achieved through demonstration such as an e-book, inclusion of a routine in a compilation, video evidence or equivalent. Alternatively written application and a committee review, which is subject to a three month decision period.
Full membership is granted to those mystery entertainers with a demonstrated record of achievement in the craft.
Friend of Psycrets
A special discretionary membership for those involved with current member’s activities in creating/designing/assisting with necessary aspects that will benefit mystery entertainers but does not necessarily have to be a performer.
The applicant must be nominated by a fully pledged member of Psycrets that will vouch for the applicant good standing and give sufficient reasons why he/she has been nominated and should be awarded this discretionary status
Such members are expected to sign a document of secrecy pledging to obey the rules governing the organisation prior to his/hers acceptance.
Honorary Awards & Lifetime Membership
We are proud to have bestowed David Berglas our highest level honorary award - The Griffin Award in April 2008. This being in recognition of his lifetime of achievement in the world of magic, mentalism and mystery entertainment.
We are subsequently also proud to include Banachek, Docc Hilford and Barrie Richardson as special life Members. See our Honorary PSYCRETS Membership page for further information
Expectations of Membership
- All members of Psycrets must protect the secrets that lie at the foundation of any form of mystery entertainment, including magical gimmicks and gaffs, principles of magic and misdirection, and other methods. The protection of such secrets includes any magical literature or any form of media produced to assist fellow magicians and mystery entertainers.
- Although members have the right to express their own views, they must not imply, or allow an implication that those views are shared by the society
- Members should respect the originators of all effects through refraining from exposure of secrets. Members shall regard the originator of any effect or presentation of any effect as the sole property of the originator and must not copy or market it without written permission of the originator.
- Psycrets respects the teaching of magic and mentalism as part of furthering the art of mystery entertainment, providing that it is done in a responsible and respectful manner and not outside the rules governing this society.
- No knowledge or skills from magic or mentalism should be used by any member of Psycrets in the pursuit of any illegal ends.
- All approved members are considered ambassadors of Psycrets and membership requires that they should not act in a way that creates any negative impression of the organisation. As such we expect professional behaviour at all times and must not bring disquiet or disharmony to the group.
- All new applications to Psycrets will be dealt with in fair and honest way. New members must follow the rules set by the committee and the committee will deal with each application in an honest, truthful and fair way.
- In the absence of documentary evidence regarding status as a mentalist or mystery entertainer members will carry the title of ‘associate member’ for one year, after which the committee will decide on full membership based on contribution to the society, evidence of public performances of mentalism and/or allied arts, publication of effects and books, and other suitable displays of commitment to mystery entertainment.
- Application materials may include supplementary documentation such as copies of published routines, letters of support from known mystery entertainers, show reels or performances, etc.
- Any applicant will have the right to appeal the decision taken by the committee but no more than three appeals will be granted to any individual seeking membership
The Psycrets Committee
The committee members will serve the society for the duration of their office in the best way and always for the good of the society and its members. The current committee comprises of Dr Todd Landman, Roni Shachnaey and Steve Drury.
Dr Todd Landman
Dr Todd Landman (BA, MA, MA, PhD, AIMC) grew up in rural Pennsylvania, went on to be educated in top academic institutions in the United States and United Kingdom, and has published numerous books and articles on politics and world affairs. He started studying and performing magic at the age of 8, has lived in Philadelphia, Washington DC, Boulder Colorado and now lives in ‘Constable Country’ in rural England.
He studied magic with a mentor as a child and was a member of John Fedko’s Keystone Conjurors. He is now a member of the prestigious Magic Circle, the International Brotherhood of Magicians, the Ipswich Magical Society and is co founder of Psycrets: The British Society of Mystery Entertainers.
He has performed as a mystery entertainer in a variety of settings across the globe, in the US, UK, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, France, Italy, Romania, Mongolia, China, Japan and Brazil. He teaches magic, mentors magicians around the world and creates his own products, including Luna (with Outlaw Effects), Cogito Ergo Sum, The Condemned, and Pass and Peek.
Todd can be contacted directly at : firstname.lastname@example.org
Roni Shachnaey has had lifetime career in magic, mentalism, readings, and the bizarre.
After growing up in Israel, fighting in the Six Days War, forming a professional band, and working as a bank manager, Roni turned his hand to stage magic and then mentalism and bizarre magic.
He is an author and creator of numerous effects, routines, utilities and systems for personal readings, Roni was the founding president of the Southend Sorcerers, the Israeli Society for Promoting the Art of Magic, and now a founding member of Psycrets.
His products have been sold through his own House of Darkness and he has lectured throughout the UK, Israel, and the United States. His life work in mentalism, readings, and bizarre is being compiled into his new book entitled Mentalism Goes Bizarre: The Psychic Magic of Roni Shachnaey.
Roni can be contacted directly at : email@example.com
Steve Drury came relatively late into physical performance, but magic and mentalism had been an avid curiosity for many years.
British born, Steve is well travelled, including settling in Canada for two years. Career-wise he has trailed through freelancing in photography, moving into print and media, then into broadcasting and internet technologies culminating as an EMEA region manager for one on the world's largest banks. City redundancy led him to setting up a now successful website design & internet marketing business. Through this a customer friendship developed into a mentorship with the adept Yorkshire performer 'Uncle Brian' Frow (senior) through whom Steve met Roni Shachnaey and other peer performers .
As well as on the founding committee of Psycrets, he is a member of the International Brotherhood of Magicians, Equity and the American Board of Hypnosis and NLP. Steve performs frequently to a wide range of audiences at public and private, social and corporate events. He develops his own effects and routines in both magic, mentalism and bizarre, also performing hypnosis.
Steve can be contacted directly at : firstname.lastname@example.org